GDPR & Data Collection
The Data Protection Officer for The Woodland Federation is:
Data Protection Officer
Devon Moors Federation
Copplestone Primary School,
The Woodland Federation Data Protection Policy can be found in the policy section of this website.
Data Collection - Fair Processing Privacy Notice
The ‘Data Protection Act 1998’ established certain safeguards regarding the use of personal data by organisations including the schools. The Act gives rights to those (known as data subjects) about whom data is held, such as pupils, parents and teachers. This includes:
▪ the right to know the types of data being held
▪ why it is being held
▪ to whom it may be communicated
Being transparent and providing accessible information to individuals about how we use their personal data is a key element of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The school provides this information in a privacy notice which informs parents, pupils and staff:
▪ what data is collected about them
▪ for what purposes the data is collected
▪ how the data is used (processed)
▪ what the lawful basis is for processing
▪ how long is the data retained
▪ who the data is shared with
▪ why the data is shared
From 25 May 2018, the Data Protection Act has been replaced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
freedom of information
One of the aims of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 is that public authorities, including all maintained schools, should be clear and proactive about the information they will make public.
To do this the federation must publish a Publication Scheme and a supporting Guide to Information, setting out:
• the classes of information which we publish or intend to publish;
• the manner in which the information will be made available; and
• whether the information is available free of charge or on payment.
All information in our Publication Scheme is available to you on request. However, not all information that we hold can be made public; for example personal information.
Under the Freedom of Information Act, all schools must adopt the following model publication scheme which has been approved by the Information Commissioner.
[Insert here a link here called something like “View the ICO’s Model Publication Scheme” that links to the ICO’s model publication scheme that I am attaching. That scheme must be published online unaltered.]
Publication Scheme: Guide to Information
Schools must also publish a guide to information that accompanies the publication scheme.
This guide specifies:
- the documents available
- the format of the documents
- any charges made for the information